From: LA Daily News
By Ryan Fonseca, Los Angeles Daily News
and Susan Abram, Los Angeles Daily News
|Los Angeles firefighters work on a burning natural gas main
Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016, at Shoup Avenue and Miranda Street in Woodland
Hills. A backhoe hit a 4-inch main, sparking the blaze. (Photo by Gene
Blevins/Special to the Los Angeles Daily News)|
A fire fueled by a natural gas leak broke out near the Woodland Hills Recreation Center Wednesday after workers with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power accidently struck a 4-inch gas line with a backhoe.
The blaze, which was reported just before 1 p.m. at 5858 Shoup Ave. near Miranda Street, engulfed the backhoe and other equipment DWP workers were using for excavation, as well as adjacent trees and dry brush.
Flames could be seen rising high as black smoke swirled around the charred backhoe. Firefighters were concerned about burning embers floating into the neighborhood while some nearby residents were told to evacuate. MORE
Photos: Huge column of flame erupts from broken Woodland Hills